Columbia Scotch Sweater Yarn, 10 balls Navy Blue; Columbia Bone or Celluloid Knitting Needles size 6; Columbia Bone Crochet Hook size 4; 5 Fancy Buttons.
Pleating: Cast on 120 sts and work pattern as follows:
- Row 1: * K 9, p 1 and repeat from *.
- Row 2: * K 2, p 8 and repeat from *.
- Row 3: * K 7, p 3 and repeat from *.
- Row 4: * K 4, p 6 and repeat from *.
- Row 5: * K 5, p 5 and repeat from *.
- Row 6: * K 6, p 4 and repeat from *.
- Row 7: * K 3, p 7 and repeat from *.
- Row 8: * K 8, p 2 and repeat from *.
- Row 9: * K 1, p 9 and repeat from *.
- Row 10: K plain.
- Reverse from row 9 through row 1.
- Row 20: P across.
- Repeat these 20 rows until there are 4 whole patterns and 1/2 pattern.
- There will be 90 rows in border.
Centre: K 25 ribs plain. On next row make pocket slit counting from the front edge with the pleating turning toward the left side for left front. Starting from centre edge of scarf k 30 sts, bind off 20 sts and k 70 sts. On the next row cast on 20 sts opposite those bound off. Continue to k plain until there are 140 ribs from top of border and then reverse border for other end of scarf.
Pocket: Pick up sts cast on above pocket slit, k 5 inches plain and bind off. Sew flat to back of scarf.
Belt: Use yarn double and cast on 8 sts. K back and forth for 95 ribs. On the next row bind off 4 centre sts for a buttonhole. K 5 ribs more and bind off. Sew about 4 inches each side of centre of belt to centre of scarf, slightly fulling the scarf, 2 ribs of the scarf to 1 rib of belt. Work 1 row of s c down each front on edge of border and on right front work 4 button loops evenly spaced. Sew on buttons as illustrated.
From Columbia Yarns, nd. page 113.